[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dinesh Nair <dinesh at alphaque dot com>
 To:  Aaron with Morad <aaronc at morad dot ab dot ca>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] XML error when booting
 Date:  Thu, 09 Feb 2006 10:51:26 +0800
On 02/09/06 06:10 Aaron with Morad said the following:
> Yesterday I was working on some testing - just doing some 1-1 NAT to some other gear inside the
network.  After making a change or two tot he rules or the NAT (can't remember the last thing I
did), I lost all connection to m0n0.  I came back to my office to find that all traffic outbound had
dropped to zero.  I looked at the console display and saw the message "XML error: no m0n0wall object
found!"  I quickly rebooted - then fear set in... it goes through the normal boot messages and gets
to the following messages...

> Mounting root from ufs:/dev/md0c
> WARNING: /cf was not properly dismounted
> Found configuration on ad2.
> WARNING: /cf was not properly dismounted
> XML error: no m0n0wall object found!
> XML error: no m0n0wall object found!

the filesystem on the CF wasnt properly dismounted, probably due to some
interruption/error during the upgrade process of the firmware. all is not
really lost though, for you could plug the CF card into a notebook/desktop
and run fsck on it to clean the filesystem up. m0n0wall by default does not
have fsck on it's image.

if you already have a backup of config.xml, then just write (thru dd or
physdiskwrite) a new image onto the CF, restore the config.xml and go along
on your merry way.