[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Rolf Kutz <kutz at netcologne dot de>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] traffic shaper problem / missunderstandig the traffic shaper
 Date:  Thu, 9 Feb 2006 11:52:20 +0100
* Quoting Daniel Heise (daniel dot heise at dhml dot de):

> Pipes:
>
>    No. Bandwidth    Delay   PLR  QueueMask      Description
>    1   640 Kbit/s                total outboud
>    2   4608 Kbit/s               total inbound

You need to use values a little bit less than the
maximum BW you ISP grants you to be able to shape
the traffic. Otherwise the ISPs shaper will kick
in and jam the Pipes.

> Rules:
>
>    http, https, pop3, dns, icmp and small packets with a length of 0-80
> Byte
>    were directed to the heigh weight queues all other packets should go
> to the
>    low weight queues.

Depending on you p2p protocol it will create a lot
of packages that fall into you category for the
high priority queue (like small packages, f.e.).
These will jam your pipes, too.

> Unfortunately my current ruleset seem to do not what I aimed for. While
> browsing
> with a parallel startet P2P application, my page load times increase to 3-5
> times of normal loading time.

It's normal that the latency (which is the main
cause for the loading time of a website) will go
up if a link is saturated. If this is another
reason for the increase I do not know.

- Rolf