[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Marko Vukovic <marko at aquamanta dot co dot za>
 To:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Help how change MTU size to 2048 value on WAN inte rface
 Date:  Thu, 09 Feb 2006 21:07:09 +0200
Paul Taylor wrote:
> Honestly, I don't know... I think it was drilled into me somewhere that 1500
> was the max...  I know Token Ring can be much higher (4464 I think).

I'm no expert but as I see it 1500 is a default for Ethernet devices
simply to promote interoperability.
I haven't tried this yet but I would think that increasing the MTU on
all your Ethernet devices would speed things up and lower CPU loads.

> I suppose if the device his WAN interface is talking to supports it, and if
> the driver in FreeBSD does, it should work..

Found this, pretty interesting:
http://www.psc.edu/~mathis/MTU/