[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Daniele Guazzoni <daniele dot guazzoni at gcomm dot ch>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Help how change MTU size to 2048 value on WAN interface
 Date:  Fri, 10 Feb 2006 00:30:03 +0100
Setting an MTU larger then the frame payload size will burden your stack with
fragments.
On the other hand an MTU smaller than the frame size may result in a higher
overhead because of filling bytes or produce shorter frames.

Mixing up jumbo-frames enabled GigE and standard ethernet frames can drive you
nut and make you feel like in the good old days of 10base2...

So don't do the mistake a lot of people does:
They send with an MTU of 9000 on GigE, transit over a 1500 FastE link and wonder
  why the connection is still slow...
Try to find out the MTU to the destination and set that value.

Or change to IPv6, where MTU is negotiated end-to-end...
(ok, ok, m0n0wall-v6 is still not here)

Daniele

Paul Taylor wrote:
> Why would you want to change the MTU to that value?
>
> The maximum MTU on Ethernet is 1500...

	best regards

Daniele Guazzoni
Senior Network Engineer, CCNA, CCNP

Ackersteinstrasse 203
CH-8049 Zurich
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice;
it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."
					William Jennings Bryan

GPG Fingerprint: 46EF FB0A A405 659F FB63 860B 6059 7A22 F58E 830E

believed to be clean.