[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Paul Daniels <paul at evosys dot co dot uk>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Dhcpd serving different ips to m0n0walls ip
 Date:  Fri, 10 Feb 2006 12:44:15 +0000
I came across a posting from Jim Wang,
http://m0n0.ch/wall/list/showmsg.php?id=166/78, regarding testing the dhcp
server on m0n0wall. He was looking to setup a dhcp subnet that is different
to subnet the m0n0wall is in and have it serve IPs via a dhcp relay. I am
also looking for this functionality.

Am not sure if I have explained this well, so here's an attempt in ascii.

Wireless Clients   ---->     Tropos      ----> m0n0wall
using DHCP               192.168.50.x/24       192.168.x.x/24
                          Relay DHCP to         DHCP subnet is
                          192.168.x.x           192.168.51.x/24

192.168.x.x is the m0n0wall IP.
192.168.50.x is the Tropos IP.

The idea is to have the clients use a different subnet to the tropos
subnet. Tropos will be relaying to the m0n0wall so might or might not need
a default route. Note that Tropos fills the giaddr field in the DHCP
request with its own 192.168.50.x address.

Is this a supported configuration using m0n0wall?
---
Paul Daniels
Technical Director
Evolution Systems Ltd