[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  JIm Thompson <jim at netgate dot com>
 To:  Chris Flugstad <chris at cascadelink dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Good Wifi Card
 Date:  Fri, 10 Feb 2006 03:27:46 -1000
Chris Flugstad wrote:

> I have been using a seperate AP to do the AP function, but was
> wondering if anyone has found and using a card with their Monowall?
> Hopefully a minipci card, as i have more 4501'sout in the field.  Any
> feedback would rock

Sorta answered last week:

> WRT wireless, which I wouldn't have on a bet without a reliable
> firewall (being one paranoid SOB), I'm wondering if anyone has input
> on cards and antenna configurations.  This is just a stand-alone house
> configuration.  All my wiring is in a centrally located utility room
> in the basement, only one floor above that.  I figure a 60-90 foot
> sphere covers the house but I'm not knowledgeable about antennas and
> we seem to have continuous coverage issues with OTS wireless hardware
> at work (concrete and reinforced steel construction in downtown
> Seattle vs. normal wood frame house if that matters).

Unless you are *very* good, and like messing with the software, your best bet for wireless, if you
want "Access Point" fuctionality is to get
one of the prism2.5-based miniPCI cards on the market.   Since  Prism-anything has been EOLed, and
has been "non-competitive" in price (at the chipset level) for
years, your choice comes down to finding something on EBay, stripping something out of a notebook
(many of the earliest 11b
notebooks carried such a card.   If you want a 'new' card you're essentially limited to the ones by
Zcommax or Senao/Engenius.  There are
several resellers for both brands (ODMs) on the web.   A few of them even know how to spell

If you want miniPCI, you're pretty well stuck with the Senao 2511MP+,
unless you like dredging through EBay for a used card, or you want to
run 1.2b7, in which case a world of Atheros cards is open to you.

Here are some vendors to try for the 2511MP+:

One of these actually knows how to spell 'm0n0wall', ships m0n0wall on
its wireless systems, etc.  :-)