[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Kristian Shaw" <monowall at wealdclose dot co dot uk>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] VPN shares latency
 Date:  Mon, 13 Feb 2006 18:57:10 -0000
Hello,

I've never found windows file shares snappy on anything less that 10mb
connections, but if you are seeing delays of 30 secs or more when navigating
shares on then look out for:

1. Link speed
2. Latency (big impact on CIFS/SMB)
3. MTU/Fragmentation issues

To determine 1. use one of the online speed tests to see if your link
matches what you think it should. To determine 2. use the 'ping' command.
Anything above 200ms (ish) will make file shares slow. To resolve 3. try
ticking the 'allow fragmented packets' on the rule that accepts traffic from
the PPTP clients.

Regards,

Kris.