[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  JIm Thompson <jim at netgate dot com>
 To:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Bridge all 3 ports (lan+wan+opt1) possible?
 Date:  Mon, 13 Feb 2006 12:32:22 -1000
Chris Buechler wrote:

>On 2/12/06, P C <pconover at ipro dot net> wrote:
>

>>Is it possible to Bridge (passing MAC and all ethernet traffic so no need to route IPs) on all
three ports (lan+wan+opt1) transparently?
>>I've successfully used the tips on this listserv to Bridge between OPT1 and WAN _OR_ LAN, but not
all three at once.

>You can't bridge LAN to anything else.  You might be able to bridge
>multiple OPT interfaces to LAN, but I'm not 100% sure on that either

the "can't bridge LAN to anything else" makes it real tough to create a
traditional AP
with a single Ethernet and WiFi device.

In particular, if you run the WRAP.2C board (single Ethernet) with a
single 802.11 NIC, you
can't bridge the two.

So consider this an "enhancement request".

>>And, if bridging all three is possible, will m0n0wall behave more like an ethernet Switch (pass
MAC traffic to destination only) or Hub (pass traffic everywhere)?

>There is no L2 filtering, so in that sense it's like a hub.  You can
>firewall on bridged interfaces though, so it's not exactly like a hub.

assuming that the 802.1d (spanning tree) works, then frames should only
be sent to the interface
where the destination address has already appeared as a source address.

If no interface matches, then the frame gets sent "everywhere" (except
the originating interface).

If the dest is a group addressed frame, then the frame should get copied
to all the other interfaces.

There is no multicast IP support beyond that in m0n0wall.  (Though it
would be a great add for pfSense.)