[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Johnny Johns <srbassalot at yahoo dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  syslog issue through router
 Date:  Tue, 14 Feb 2006 05:39:50 -0800 (PST)
First things first, I am network challenged, so forgive me for what is most likely a simple fix :P
Here's my setup:
Internet>Cable Modem>M0n0wall>SMC Router>PC's

First let me clarify that as far as my PC connections are concerened everything is working fine. I
have no problems accessing the internet. The problem lies in capturing logs from M0n0wall through a
lan PC running a syslog server. The syslog server is running properly because it can capture logs
from my router but not from M0n0wall. I'm sure the problem lies in the fact it is on a different
subnet or IP range but not sure what to do to avoid conflicts.Also the firewall in the router is
most likely stopping the port 514 access.

I'll explain, M0n0wall is using the default 192.168.1.1 address with a range of
192.168.1.100 > 192.168.1.200
The router is using 192.168.2.1 with a range of 192.168.2.5 > 192.168.2.200

As you might have already suspected, the router is running a firewall that I would like to keep-up.
The router also has a built-in print server that I would like to continue to use.
I am currently using DHCP on both devices to give IP addresses to their clients.
M0n0wall gives an IP to the router and the router handles the IP's to the lan PC's.

Question?
Should M0n0wall and the router share an IP range with static IP's to resolve this?
Or do I require something else to fix this issue.

Any help would be appreciated.
Regards,
Srbassalot