[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Magikman <magikmanv2 at cox dot net>
 To:  w dot plein at gmail dot com
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Counter Strike: Source - Server
 Date:  Wed, 15 Feb 2006 10:33:12 -0500
w dot plein at gmail dot com wrote:
> At 05:45 PM 2/14/2006, Magikman wrote:
>

>> Bill,
>>
>>    You are absolutely correct. But the thing that bothers me is that
>> i have the ports needed to run a dedicated server open. And what
>> bothers me even more so than that is the fact someone can connect
>> directly to my server, but it just wont show in the list.
>
> Not sure what you mean.
>
> You need all the ports open, not just the dedicated server ports. Your
> system needs to communicate with the Steam servers that maintain a
> list of public servers, pings, etc.
>
> Open them up. You don't have anything on that machine ON THOSE PORTS
> other than Steam and Counter-Strike, it's safe. Well, unless someone
> finds a way to break into something by hacking Steam.
>

> --
> Bill Plein
> w dot plein at gmail dot com

You actually only need 27015 UDP open, 27015 TCP and 27020 are for rcon
and HLTV. The other ports that you see listed on that page are for the
client side of things, not the server.

Since last night i have reinstalled smoothwall and am back up and
running with the server being shown on the list with the same ports open
that i had open on m0n0wall.

magikman