[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Christoph Hanle <christoph dot hanle at leinpfad dot de>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Newbie VPN Question
 Date:  Wed, 15 Feb 2006 20:40:48 +0100
Willem van Dam schrieb:
> Hi List,
>
> I have been trying to setup an mobile user VPN connection for a while now.
> I followed the directions as described in:
> 16.1. How do I setup mobile user VPN with IPsec?
> http://doc.m0n0.ch/handbook/faq.html#id2608384
>
> The client side is a laptop running XP-pro and connecting to the internet
> trough Verizon Wireless BroadbandAccess.
> The VPN client is SafeNet 10.3.6 (build 2)
>
> My problem is that the VPN connection seems to be working. I can get to our
> Intranet sever by typing it's IP address but I can't browse the network
> using the server names.
>
> What am I doing wrong? (Probably something with the DNS)
> I it my understanding that once an VPN connection is setup the mobile
> computer is a part of the network like any other computer in the office.
> Should I be able to connect to any server just by typing \\servername ?

Hi,
I seems not to be a problem with the DNS, but a problem with the
windows name resolution, because your mobile user does a broadcast in
his adressrange and this broadcast does not reach the network.
You can check this.: if you can reache \\ip-address\share but not
\\servername\share it is the windows name resolution.
Possible solutions:
- use a WINS-Server in your LAN, do an entry of the VPN-Client and let
the VPN-Client use this WINS.
- or edit the \drivers\etc\lmhosts on the client.

but if you can't reach the server with its FQN but with its real IP, it
is a DNS-Problem
Possible solutions:
check the name resolution with nslookup,
maybe that your DNS in the Lan has a wrong route
check the DNS on your VPN-Client
- or edit the \drivers\etc\hosts

bye
Christoph