[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "David Kitchens" <spider at webweaver dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Confusing networking problem
 Date:  Wed, 15 Feb 2006 18:19:55 -0500
I've just setup a hotspot using a WRAP for m0n0 with an access point in dmz.
This is a basic setup and my question is basic networking really. I'm not
stupid, lest I don't think, but a wireless client laptop can see my hotspot,
connect to it, get an ip address from 192.168.1.1 with correct DNS info
handed out by m0n0wall. The hotspot is at 1.2 using gateway of m0n0 1.1 dmz
interface. If this laptop can get ip info from 1.1, why would it not be able
to ping 1.1 and not resolve any dns? All LAN side clients work flawlessly. I
have m0n0 with one rule for DMZ, allow * to WAN *. The access point is set
static and there are no settings in it that would be stopping a ping to its
own gateway.

Network Diagram

M0n0 WAN Static Public IP
         LAN 192.168.73.1
         Public Wireless DMZ 192.168.1.1

M0n0

3com managed vlan switch

fiber link

3com managed vlan switch

Access point

The 3coms have a port dedicated to the 1.1 VLAN and I don't think that has
anything to do with the problem, hopefully someone says, Duh... do this....
???

Dave