[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Peter Lauda <plauda at rx30 dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Will this work
 Date:  17 Feb 2006 14:30:26 -0500
I haven't got a lot of experience with setting up firewalls but I
_think_ this will work. Feel free to enlighten me, please.

I want/need a firewall to sit between an outside world connection and my
internal network. The catch: ths historical setup is horrible. No
firewall and systems sitting in the open and barely protected. The only
way the I can firewall ALL of the systems that need protection, I have
to do the following:

Put a firewall at an address (wan side) that is a public address. The
other (lan side) address will also have to be an address that is within
the public address space of the wan side.

A - Is this going to work?
B - Am I buying more trouble by doing it?

I have a monowall box about ready to go into place but I'm worried it
will bring the network down if I am wrong about it working.

Any advice welcome.

--p