[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jeff Buehler <jeff at buehlertech dot com>
 To:  Jeff Buehler <jeff at buehlertech dot com>
 Cc:  Kris Shaw <monowall at wealdclose dot co dot uk>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] outlook -> exchange problem
 Date:  Fri, 17 Feb 2006 16:15:17 -0800
Hi all -

Well, I am sad to report that this did not actually solve the original
problem, so I thought I would try one more time and see if anyone has
any other ideas.  To summarize I have two LANS connected via a m0n0wall
ipsec tunnel (each has it's own m0n0wall device), each on it's own T1.
LAN B connects to Exchange on LAN A over the the tunnel - nothing goes
over the WAN.  The issue of fragmented packets (such as those forced by
MS-RPC) not being allowed through has been resolved and is working.
Everything works well, but recently when we added some new Dell PC's
with Intel 100 NICS, the new PC's (with old user accounts) have problems
staying connecting to the Exchange running Outlook.  This is VERY
intermittent - if I go into Control Panels -> Mail and modify settings,
I may fix it for a while, or cause it to happen for a while.  it only
happens on one or two PC's at a time (so far).  One minute they can
send, the next minute the connection with the server is lost.  This is
ONLY a problem with Outlook to Exchange.

The IPSEC tunnel connects properly, but one question - each LAN uses the
same pre-shared key and no certificate - is this OK, or might it cause
some kind of connection issue like this somehow?

There is no specific time or pattern to the failures that I can
discern.  Each of the new PC's uses the same kind of NIC configured at
Dell - changing NIC settings makes no difference.

I have tried:

1. dealing with fragmented MS-RPC packets - this is resolved
2. dealing with MS Kerberos weirdness by forcing NTDLM authentication
only - this looked like it might help, but didn't in the end.
3. trying AH mode in place of ESP mode - this seemed to help for awhile,
but the problem reappeared
4. considered licensing - there are no errors on the Exchange Server
that I can find that would indicate a licensing issue
5. creating new user accounts - in one case, this helped for awhile for
no apparent reason, but the issue came back.
6. analyzing the packets on the server side.  Everything looks OK, but
it's a lot of data and I'm not always clear exactly what I'm looking
at.  The client is definitely connecting at the right (LAN) IP.
7. logging LAN packets going through in the firewall - they all seem to
pass OK, and to the right location.
8. lots (!) of other stuff

Has anyone ever seen anything like this?  What is Microsoft doing for
Outlook/Exchange communication that could cause something like this
across an IPSEC tunnel?  I am going to have to resort to RPC over
HTTP(s) - now I know why it exists!

Thanks for any ideas...

Jeff