[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Can I communicate within the LAN via m0n0wall?
 Date:  Fri, 17 Feb 2006 19:19:06 -0600
From: "Andreas Bednarski" <anmahler at gmail dot com>

> This is probably a stupid question.

Nope.  Several questions. :-)  And there are no stupid questions, just
stupid answers. :-)

> I want to plug a Laptop to the 3rd Interface and have the PC and the
> Laptop communicating over the m0n0wall, i.e. m0n0wall would work as a
> switch/hub then.

You could bridge it and make it a switch, or you could route it and do
filtering, and other cool stuff.

> Is this possible?

Yes.  But not necesarily feasable.

> What do I have to think about?

Complexity, troubleshooting, and cost.  For you, cost is almost a non-issue,
but still there.

> Is this about bridging?

Could be.  A switch is a bridge.  A hub, is a hub.  It has to do with arp
lists and broadcasts.

> Do I have to use a crossed network cable between notebook
> and m0n0wall?

Unless the NIC on your laptop is autosensing MDI/MDIX, yes.

> Thank you for any hint.

Any time.

                        Lee