[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jeff Buehler <jeff at buehlertech dot com>
 To:  Jason Collins <jason at mammothcomputers dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] outlook -> exchange problem
 Date:  Fri, 17 Feb 2006 18:44:00 -0800
The new machines are the only ones that have this intermittent problem.
However, we did add another OLD machine to the network which also
exhibited some of the same intermittent connectivity trouble.  All of
the machines on this LAN are on the same switch, connected to m0n0wall.
There are about 18 other machines that are on this LAN that are fine.

The reason I mention licensing is because I am dumbfounded and can't
think of anything else.  I am actually not certain how to even verify
the licensing for Exchange systems (other than i know this network is
per seat, not server based), but because a few new machines (not
accounts, machines) have this problem I am reduced to grasping at
straws.  However, there are no errors other than one or two users of
these machines (not all of them) at a time have this problem - how do I
verify if it might be related to a licensing problem or not?

I am inclined to blame Microsoft, because I seem to have these sorts of
problems often whenever I am forced to deal with Exchange and Outlook -
unexplainable and annoying problems that mysteriously "go away" when
something is reinstalled or modified.  But so far this problem has not
gone away, and it is consistently inconsistent.

There are actually four domain controllers for this network, one of them
is behind the m0n0wall with the LAN in question and replicating
properly, and providing DNS.  Right now I have reduced the LAN in
question to only 1 DNS server, the domain controller on the same LAN,
since I wanted to remove any potential problems with DNS.  The DNS is
functioning smooth as silk in every test I have run, and the Exchange
server is seen solidly on the network even by the machines with
connectivity issues which ONLY show up in Outlook.

It almost seems like a problem with some flaky AD behavior - if I add a
different user to the same machine, suddenly they work fine (I don't
know if they would continue top work fine, though).

Thanks,
Jeff