[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Mike Loiterman" <mike at ascendency dot net>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  DNS Forwarder not working for me
 Date:  Sun, 19 Feb 2006 05:57:11 -0600
I'm trying to replace my IPCop router/firewall with a m0n0wall.  The
m0n0wall functions perfectly aside from one critical piece...I can't use my
mail/web server from within the LAN.  I know that getting the DNS forwarder
to work is the solution, but I haven't been able to make it work.

Here is how my network is setup

Private Address Space: 192.168.1.0-192.168.1.254
Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
m0n0wall gateway and local DNS at: 192.168.1.1
Public DNS and WAN IP via DHCP: 67.xxx.xxx.xxx

Web/Mail server at: 192.168.1.22

When I enable m0n0wall, I can access internet, and ping any machine on the
LAN.  External machines can hit the mail and webserver with no problems as
long as the firewall and NAT settings are setup correctly, of course.

After configuring the DNS forwarder so that domainname.net points to
192.168.1.22, I can ping domainname.net and it resolves to 192.168.1.22.
But when I try to get machine 192.168.1.14 to access
smtp.hostname.domainname.net or pop3.hostname.domainname.net.  In all cases,
it can't find the server. Browsing to https://domainname.net also fails.
Accessing these services via IP (192.168.1.22) works fine.

I have tried adding hostname.domainname.net, pointed to 192.168.1.22, but
that fails as well.  It seems like I need to add
pop3.hostname.domainname.net and smtp.hostname.domainname.net, which is how
my mail clients are configured, but m0n0wall won't let me do that.

One additional fact, and this may or may not have anything to do with this,
is that I have a dynamic IP and use DNS2GO, to map the IP to my WAN address.

What am I doing wrong?

Mike Loiterman
grantADLER
Tel: 630-302-4944