[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee B." <leeb00 at gmail dot com>
 To:  Monowall Email List <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Name resolution problem on Lan
 Date:  Sun, 19 Feb 2006 15:42:01 -0800
I'm having intermittent problems with name resolution on my lan. One
host can't ping another by host name. But sometimes they can... very
odd. This is a small, home lan with four computers (2 pcs, 2 Linux, 1
Vonage, dhcp, all w/static lease mappings).

I'm no network expert, and I would like to know if there's some
configuration I'm overlooking on M0n0wall (v1.21 Generic PC, CF boot) or
the PCs.

Just now I couldn't ping my desktop PC from my laptop (using host name),
but I could ping the IP address. Then I tried pinging by host name again
and it worked!

In the past I've always been able to ping by host name, but never by
FQDN. "Ping pc1" works, but "ping pc1.myhouse.local" never has. I can
live with that, but I'm including it here in case it throw up a flag.
Lately pinging by host name usually fails... I would really like this to
work.

In m0n0wall I have "Enable DNS forwarded" checked, and "Register DHCP
leases in DNS forwarder" checked.

So does this problem point to anything obvious? Thanks for any ideas you
may have.