[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Alex Neuman van der Hans <alex at nkpanama dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall 1.2 stop responding.
 Date:  Mon, 20 Feb 2006 18:41:06 -0500
Which is precisely my point in another thread. Someone was crying "m0n0
bug" since two different hardware platforms freeze after "only" 15 days.
If you still have common items (like, for example, same ac socket on the
wall), then you're not really playing the "process of elimination" game.

I've had clients who complain their servers (not just the firewall) are
unstable, only to find out after a visit from me (gasp! the horror!)
they have no grounding, reversed polarity, A/C hooked up to the same
circuit (sometimes even the SAME POWER OUTLET!), etc. etc.

I have dozens of m0n0walls and full-blown servers with RealTek cards
and, while I *always* recommend Intel NICs, the RTL8139s that come with
the motherboards sometimes have actually done pretty well when hooked up
to internet connections, wifi APs, etc.

Lee Sharp wrote:
> From: "Aaron with Morad" <aaronc at morad dot ab dot ca>
>
>> "the Realtek cards sucks!"
>
>> Haha... I agree.
>
> While we are testifying about hardware... :-)  I have at least 25
> Realtek cards in production on m0n0wall with no problems.  They are
> slow, but not as slow as the internet connection.  However, I am
> running them all in well ventilated cases, and with good power
> supplies.  Heat and bad power supplies cause more problems than
> realtek nics.
>
>                        Lee

Alex Neuman van der Hans
N&K Technology Consultants