[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] RE: RE : [m0n0wall] outlook -> exchange problem
 Date:  Mon, 20 Feb 2006 17:43:32 -0600
From: "Jeff Buehler" <jeff at buehlertech dot com>

> Hi Lee, Alex, Bill -

I am in good company. :-)

> OK - three recommendations (at least) so I'll try and reduce the MTU on
> the servers (and each of the problem client platforms?  What a hassle!)
> but I have a couple of questions you may be able to help me with:

And just for a test, which may prove nothing.  Sorry...

> 1. do I need to modify the MTU setting on the m0n0wall devices that are
> establishing the IPSEC VPN as well?

No.  With the end points set to an MTU lower than the m0n0wall devices, you
remove them from the equation.

> 2. Will I have any problems with Drtcp on 2003 server?  I have used it on
> XP before with no problem, but I don't want to munge my servers.

I always do the direct registry entry, so I do not know.

> 3. If I modify the server MTUs, do I need to modify EVERY client platform
> 9or just the four with the problem)? Will the others that are working fine
> start having problems if I reduce the server MTU and not their MTU also?

MTU is "supposed" to be negotiated.  And we know how well Microsoft follows
the standard.  It "should" work just set on the server.  You may have to set
every device in practice.  I have had to do this for many systems that could
not brows some websites like microsoft.com and it was MTU.  Gotta love it!

                        Lee