[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Gregor Rozman <gregor dot rozman at s5 dash forum dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Help wrt 'auto-add firewall rule"
 Date:  Tue, 21 Feb 2006 18:49:04 +0100
James W. McKeand wrote:
> The checkbox is only available when you create a rule an inbound NAT
> rule. When you edit an inbound NAT rule the check box is not there. i.e.
> the system will not edit or create the firewall rule when you edit an
> inbound NAT rule. You must manually edit the firewall rule if you edit
> the inbound NAT.
>
> IIRC, this is due to the fact that NAT and IP Filtering are handled by
> different subsystems. When the script to create an inbound NAT rule is
> ran, the script will also create the firewall rule (if you check the
> box). When the editing is done the script does not even know if there is
> a corresponding firewall rule.

Thank you for the answer.
I have one more question regarding auto creation of firewall rules.
Is this correct, that auto create in inbound creates 1 firewall rule?
Looks like it creates only inbound communication and not outbound. If I
understand correctly the meanings of "source" & "destination" in
firewall set? So does that mean I must create manually outbound firewall
rule?

Thank you in advance for your kindness.

GR