[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jeff Buehler <jeff at buehlertech dot com>
 To:  Alex Neuman van der Hans <alex at nkpanama dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall 1.2 stop responding.
 Date:  Tue, 21 Feb 2006 19:14:48 -0800
I believe I understand your point: "why spend more when you can get a
cheap card that does more than I need" and I agree with that sentiment
completely.  However, performance is not the issue that is really being
discussed, at least in my mind, and it is not the only point the writer
of the driver for FreeBSD makes, just one of them.  The fact that the
performance on RealTek sucks and puts extra strain on the CPU is not
really much of a concern if your running a modern system, although it
might be if your system is strained by other requirements like  email
services, web services,  file sharing, etc.

The real issue (in my mind) is whether or not the RealTek cards flake
out under pressure - in my experience they do, but it seems that there
are quite a few others who have had good luck with them.  That's great,
but I would still want to get a RealTek card out of the way if I was
having network problems just to remove it from the troubleshooting loop.

Jeff