[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Geoff Brisbine" <geoff dot brisbine at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Using m0n0wall as a QoS bridge?
 Date:  Tue, 21 Feb 2006 22:27:44 -0600
Greetings, all.

I've got a firewall, which has some great features, but is lacking
QoS.  Being over DSL it's quite a problem when I'm downloading and
uploading (and will be compounded when I start using VoIP).

Is is realistic or feasible to have a m0n0wall box in between my DSL
modem and my current firewall, which would only be used for traffic
shaping?

I'm trying to wrap my brain around what would need to be configured.
My current firewall is NATing for the internal clients, but I may need
to disable NAT on that box since the m0n0wall box would be the last
piece of equipment before the Internet.  Would I do 1:1 NAT to allow
all traffic from the Internet to be sent directly to my current
firewall?

I'd like to have the m0n0wall box provide an IP address to my current
firewall via DHCP (static mapping) so I could leave my current
firewall in DHCP mode.  This would allow me to, without
reconfiguration, remove the m0n0wall box and be back in working order.

It seems like a lot of work to keep my current firewall in the mix,
but like I said, I really like it.  :)

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Geoff