[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  A dot L dot M dot Buxey at lboro dot ac dot uk
 To:  Mikael Warnerfjord <droopy at nuke dot se>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall]Shard key for cap portal
 Date:  Wed, 22 Feb 2006 08:56:59 +0000
Hi,

> is it possible to set up an shard key on the WIFI interface if you are
> using the captivity portal?
> becouse i don't think any one want to connect to an unsecured network :P

why not? many people offer 'unsecure' networks that first require authentication.
the issue is 'what do you allow on the network'? for sure, if you allow telnet,
passwords on standard HTTP, SMTP, POP3 and IMAP (and others) then thats insecure
and poorly thought. but if you only allow secure mail protocols and you make sure
that all work, for example, is done via a VPN back to home network..and you use
SSH to do work then its not that much of an issue...2048bit encryption with
asymmetric keying is a bit of a problem to crack :-)
(yes yes, i know...this email will be archived and I'll look stupid in 4 years
time....640k is enough for anyone!....however, in 4 years time I wont be doing
2048bit encryption and wireless will have got to some WPA4 level that 'just works' ;-)

alan