[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall 1.2 stop responding.
 Date:  Tue, 21 Feb 2006 12:11:12 -0600
From: "Jeff Buehler" <jeff at buehlertech dot com>

>I am repeating myself here (and in the same month!), so I apologize, but it
>was a different thread, so in case this helps clarify the Realtek
>discussion, this is an excerpt from /sys/pci/if_rl.c (the c file for the
>Realtek driver by the author of the driver for FreeBSD).  He actually
>states that : "This is probably the worst PCI ethernet controller ever
>made, with the possible exception of the FEAST chip made by SMC", so defend
>the chip if you like but I think that says it all, and from a person who
>knows a lot more than I do about good vs. bad network chips:

I never said they were good cards.  They are cheap junk.  What I was saying
was that they are not the biggest cause of problems.  While they are slow,
and the do load up the CPU, they are also fairly stable.  However, if the
loaded CPU and memory heat up...  Or the power supply is not up to the
demands of a loaded CPU an memory...  It is easy to blame stability on the
Realtek cards.  It is also often wrong.  (I did say "often" and it is also
sometimes correct)  They are a $5 card, and perform like one.  And I use a
lot of them.  I have 25 m0n0wall boxes in production.  Most of them have the
Realtek cards in them, and are very stable.  Since money saved is money in
my pocket, I use the cheaper cards.  It makes machines just as stable as the
Intel cards, and either card is faster than the internet connection.  I save
my money there, and spend it on the case and power supply.

                        Lee