[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall 1.2 stop responding.
 Date:  Wed, 22 Feb 2006 15:41:28 -0600
From: "Jeff Buehler" <jeff at buehlertech dot com>

> The real issue (in my mind) is whether or not the RealTek cards flake out
> under pressure - in my experience they do, but it seems that there are
> quite a few others who have had good luck with them.  That's great, but I
> would still want to get a RealTek card out of the way if I was having
> network problems just to remove it from the troubleshooting loop.

Part of the problem is that RealTek is a chip, not a card.  And the chip
ain't great.  But some cards are even worse.  That said, swapping a card
changes the card platform, the cpu load, and the power requirements.  I
still say swapping a power supply will solve more problems that just a card.
However, you are right in that eliminating known trouble spots helps in
finding a problem.  It is why I have several spare intel nics.

                        Lee