[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Harri Hyyppa <oh6hik at sral dot fi>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  m0n0wall throughput
 Date:  Wed, 22 Feb 2006 23:42:17 +0200
Yes, me again. :-)

We had some testing with monowall 1.21  (generic-pc) and pfsense (whatever
(1.0.beta1?)).

Throughput with same equipment was somewhat interesting.

With m0n0wall we got 10-12 Mbit/s, with pfsense we got 90-100 Mbit/s. Is
there something that we did wrong with m0n0wall or is pfsense that much
better? (Lan performance, bridged performance was almost same on either one)

Tested agains our ISPs speedtest (so, not perfect test, but ten times
difference??)

Equipment was 1.7 Ghz P4, 256MB, 3 x 100Mb/s NICs. 1 x WAN, 1 x LAN, 1 X
opt bridged with WAN.
And exactly same computer on both tests.

Out-of-box-performance difference were 10x, can't be explained easily?-) Or
can it?

And sorry if pfsense is not allowed to mention on this list, but being
relatives (somehow, m0n0 <-> pfsense), i just wanted to compare them
(because m0n0wall was giving us bad performance)..

This question just because personally (at home) I have box that won't run
pfsense (EM551, too little memory (64MB) , only 16MB disk-on-module), and
like to see improvements on m0n0walls performance. :-)

The answer is somewhere in NAT? Because bridged performance was somewhat
equal each other.. ?

- Harri