[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "John Benjamin" <john at thebenjs dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  PPTP VPN log troubleshooting help, please.
 Date:  Wed, 22 Feb 2006 17:44:29 -0800
I would really appreciate any help in understanding the below log entries of
an unsuccessful PPTP VPN connection from an XP client to a m0n0wall PPTP
server.

The XP client used to test is on a lan behind a m0n0wall (same versions,
1.2).   Looking at the log entries below, I see that "[pt0] LCP:
SendConfigReq #" is sent 10 times before the connection attempt is
terminated because  "parameter negotiation failed".  Is this SendConfigReq
going from Server to Client?  Does the repeating 10 times before failure
indicate that something is getting blocked on its way back to the pptp
client or a problem with the pptp server?

On the client LAN, there is one and only one machine that can connect to
this VPN.  It is a single-nic W2k3/SBS machine connected to the m0n0wall
which is set to fwd VPN requests to the w2k3/SBS machine.  I've turned off
the "Redirect VPN requests..." option but it doesn't change the outcome.

I've compared these logs to a successful PPTP connection and notice that it
only takes one "LCP: SendConfig" before a "rec'd configure request #0 link 0
(req-sent)" is received and the connection is negotiated successfully.

Below are the complete log entries from the unsuccessful attempt of this
PPTP client.

Thanks very much - John

These lines are in reverese chronological order with the newest at the top
and the oldest at the bottom.
mpd: pptp0: killing connection with 71.39.xx.xx:57212
mpd: [pt0] LCP: Down event
mpd: [pt0] link: DOWN event
mpd: [pt0] device is now in state DOWN
mpd: [pt0] device: DOWN event in state DOWN
mpd: [pt0] LCP: phase shift ESTABLISH --> DEAD
mpd: [pt0] LCP: state change Closed --> Initial
mpd: [pt0] LCP: Down event
mpd: [pt0] link: DOWN event
mpd: [pt0] device is now in state DOWN
mpd: [pt0] device: DOWN event in state CLOSING
mpd: [pt0] LCP: state change Stopped --> Closed
mpd: [pt0] LCP: Close event
mpd: [pt0] link: CLOSE event
mpd: [pt0] device is now in state CLOSING
mpd: [pt0] device: CLOSE event in state CLOSING
mpd: [pt0] closing link "pt0"...
mpd: [pt0] bundle: CLOSE event in state OPENED
mpd: [pt0] device is now in state CLOSING
mpd: [pt0] IFACE: Close event
mpd: pptp0: closing connection with 71.39.xx.xx:57212
mpd: [pt0] IFACE: Close event
mpd: [pt0] IPCP: LayerFinish
mpd: [pt0] IPCP: state change Starting --> Initial
mpd: [pt0] IPCP: Close event
mpd: [pt0] IFACE: Close event
mpd: [pt0] PPTP call terminated
mpd: pptp0-0: killing channel
mpd: pptp0-0: clearing call
mpd: [pt0] device: CLOSE event in state UP
mpd: [pt0] LCP: LayerFinish
mpd: [pt0] LCP: parameter negotiation failed
mpd: [pt0] LCP: LayerFinish
mpd: [pt0] LCP: state change Req-Sent --> Stopped
mpd: ENDPOINTDISC [802.1] 00 09 5b 19 c8 a5
 mpd: MP SHORTSEQ
 mpd: MP MRRU 1600
 mpd: AUTHPROTO CHAP MSOFTv2
 mpd: MAGICNUM 4b689978
 mpd: MRU 1500
 mpd: PROTOCOMP
 mpd: ACFCOMP
 mpd: [pt0] LCP: SendConfigReq #3
 mpd: ENDPOINTDISC [802.1] 00 09 5b 19 c8 a5
 mpd: MP SHORTSEQ
 mpd: MP MRRU 1600
 mpd: AUTHPROTO CHAP MSOFTv2
 mpd: MAGICNUM 4b689978
 mpd: MRU 1500
 mpd: PROTOCOMP
 mpd: ACFCOMP
 mpd: [pt0] LCP: SendConfigReq #2
 mpd: ENDPOINTDISC [802.1] 00 09 5b 19 c8 a5
 mpd: MP SHORTSEQ
 mpd: MP MRRU 1600
 mpd: AUTHPROTO CHAP MSOFTv2
 mpd: MAGICNUM 4b689978