[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] VLAN build-out
 Date:  Thu, 23 Feb 2006 20:59:10 -0500
On 2/23/06, Aaron Clasby <aaron dot clasby at cox dot net> wrote:
> I just want to make sure I am in the right or if I am missing something.
>
> Currently I have the wrap with 1.21 connected as follows:
>
> WAN - cable
> LAN - Cisco AP 1200 via Dell PowerConnect (no VLANs)
> Opt - disconnected
>
> All traffic comes in via the LAN interface and out the WAN.
>
> I would like to create a secondary SSID on the AP, which would mean I
> have to use VLANS, by default, there will be VLAN1

If you're using VLAN's, *never* use VLAN 1 for anything.  It opens you
up to a lot of possibilities for VLAN hopping.

> and then VLAN5 for
> guests(insecure), and VLAN7(secured). This all would be via the LAN
> interface. I would like VLAN5 to get an IP from m0n0 and go out the WAN
> int, then anyone connecting securely via VLAN7, I would like their DHCP
> requests to be forwarded via Opt1 to the internal net, thus also sending
> all this particular traffic through Opt1. Is this possible or am I
> missing something?

that's all possible.  Each VLAN interface is treated the same as a
physical interface, so you can enable DHCP server where desired, and
use DHCP relay on VLAN's where you want to forward DHCP requests to a
DHCP server on anther subnet.

The PowerConnects work almost identically to Cisco IOS switches, so
you should be able to follow this if you need any guidance on switch
configuration:
http://wiki.m0n0.ch/wikka.php?wakka=VLAN

-Chris