[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] simultaneous 1000 VPN access
 Date:  Fri, 24 Feb 2006 09:33:43 -0600
From: "brandon" <bstone108 at comcast dot net>
> Shafiul Alam wrote:

>> I've just start playing with the m0n0wall and stuck with a query - Does
>> m0n0wall support simultaneous 1000 VPN access ? or Can I have that
>> capability with mon0wall (whatver hardware require) ?

>I believe to handle that many clients you would need a good machine, prefer
>a hardware crypto card, add lots of ram and a modified m0n0wall image to
>make use of the extra ram.   that's about it from my knowledge.    I think
>it would work though, but you would need a good machine.

> actualy I don't know if m0n0wall has done vpn on that large of scale
> before,  if it has I'm curious of the results :P

This started me thinking.  First, how fast a connection and which VPN?
Assuming PPtP, you would need to modify the code to open up more than the 16
connections.  This would take quite a bit of memory.  Also, a LOT of IP
addresses.  You will also have some considerable load.  You would need a
custom image to take advantage of duel core CPUs, or multi cpu boxes.  A
crypto card would help, but I don't think it would be enough.

                        Lee