[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  KnightMB <knightmb at knightmb dot dyndns dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  generic-pc-1.21 won't bootstrap the HD device
 Date:  Fri, 24 Feb 2006 10:57:57 -0600
I have an old NEC computer, specs are PI - 75MHz, 64MB RAM, 1.2 GB HDD,
(2) Linksys 100TX NIC cards.

The system doesn't support CD-ROM boot, so I took out the hard drive and
used the physdiskwrite.exe program  on another computer to write the
image to the drive.  Everything writes fine, I can even examine the disk
afterwards and see that it has created the partition properly.  When I
take the drive and install it back in the machine, the system gets a
"read error" while trying to boot the drive.  I took a look at the drive
in a raw mode and noticed nothing in place to bootstrap the OS?  Is the
generic-pc-1.21 image missing all the bootstrap information?  I know the
drive is good, I can install Windows 98, Windows NT, even FreeBSD 4.11
and they all work fine.  What am I missing? Is there something more that
needs to be done after you load the image to make the hard drive
bootable on the PC?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Michael