[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  KnightMB <knightmb at knightmb dot dyndns dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] generic-pc-1.21 won't bootstrap the HD device
 Date:  Sat, 25 Feb 2006 22:03:50 -0600
I found my solution, wanted to post it here in case someone else
encounters it.  I checked the FAQ first to make sure I didn't do another
"duh" post again, LOL.

The image was made using an old NT 4.0 SP0 workstation using
phydiskwrite.exe.  I thought maybe being an ancient build of NT 4.0 was
the problem.  It actually wrote the image just fine, so that is ruled
out.  The PC I was trying to boot with the IDE drive has a few BIOS
settings for the drive.  Mainly the LBA disk mode needed to be turned
off.  The drive disk geometry mode also had to be set to "Standard
CHS".  Once this was set, the drive would boot m0n0wall properly with no
issues.  This might only be an issue with really old computers like the
one I was using.  I haven't had a more modern system to try this on yet,
so this may not be an issue with newer PCs that you load m0n0wall onto.

Thanks,
Michael