[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jeff Buehler <jeff at buehlertech dot com>
 To:  simon dot vetterli at hotelplan dot ch
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: AW: [m0n0wall] Pinging to a local host getting ipadress from internet
 Date:  Sun, 26 Feb 2006 08:52:53 -0800
Hi Simon -

Christoph means that it sounds like a DNS issue, which it does to me too.

Try pinging by IP address rather than by FQDN (fully qualified domain
name).  If you can ping the LAN IP then the VPN is working, but your DNS
is not.  If you don't know why then you probably need to do some work on
getting your DNS right.  The public (WAN) DNS and the private (LAN) DNS
should likely be different. So: A workstation on the LAN uses the DNS
you set up yourself and when co00s200.orthotop.ch is pinged the LAN
address is returned, while a workstation on the WAN uses some other DNS
and when the domain is pinged the WAN address is returned.  If that
concept isn't clear or you aren't sure how to implement that you will
need to do some work on learning about DNS implementation.

Jeff

simon dot vetterli at hotelplan dot ch wrote:
> Hi Christoph
>
> Only with the internal IP-Address, yes.
> If I ping with co00s200.orthotop.ch I get the IP-Address from outside.
>
> I configure an dns-server in my m0n0Wall like 195.168.1.110. Maybe I just have to use the standart
IP-Adress from my ISP.