[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Alex Neuman van der Hans <alex at nkpanama dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] RE: RE : [m0n0wall] outlook -> exchange problem
 Date:  Sun, 26 Feb 2006 13:09:52 -0500
It's definitely a Windows MTU detection problem - undocumented, unfixed,
and undetected until someone started futzing with it. I've told all the
sysadmins I do consulting work for to lower their MTU to 1430-1490 as
soon as they take the machine out of the box, right before windows updates.

Lee Sharp wrote:
> From: "Jeff Buehler" <jeff at buehlertech dot com>
>
>> Well, it appears that the MTU on the server(s) and client platforms
>> being lowered does solve the problem I was having (annoyingly).  It
>> also appears that Blowfish (in phase 2) requires a different MTU
>> setting (slightly lower) than AES appears to as well, just for an
>> interesting tidbit of information, although this observed but not
>> carefully verified.  I'm not certain why allowing fragmented packets
>> doesn't solve the problem, but it appears that certain packets are
>> still dropped by certain platforms on a ping unless the MTU is lowered.
>
>> I don't know if the problem is m0n0wall (Racoon) specific.
>
> This is a common Windows problem.  I usually find it when a few
> Windows systems can not get to some websites, the most common being
> Microsoft and windowsupdate.  It appears that Windows MTU detection is
> broken, and does not work on all systems.  Search on "Windows MTU
> 1492" and you will see a lot.  The thing is you have DSL overhead, and
> VPN overhead.  Of course it would be nice if Windows MTU detection
> actually worked. :-)
>
>                        Lee

Alex Neuman van der Hans
N&K Technology Consultants