[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  "Michael Mee" <mm2001 at pobox dot com>
 Cc:  M0N0Wall firewall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] captive portal support
 Date:  Mon, 19 Jan 2004 18:37:18 +0100
On 19.01.2004, at 18:03, Michael Mee wrote:

> Manuel: if someone puts this together, will you put it into the main
> release?  I respect your vision and guidance for this great project, so
> before rallying the troops, I wanted to check that this fits your
> vision.
> No point doing it, if you're reluctant to include it :-).

Well, if it involves bulky "crap" like including perl, then no way, but
I don't think anybody has been considering that. ;) If you guys can
come up with a solution that doesn't take more than, say, 100 KBs worth
of stuff to be added to the root filesystem and copes with low-end
embedded platforms (think about a 32 MB/100 MHz net4511), I'll probably
be fine with it. Should be feasible, especially if we're only talking
about an AUP and no login yet. Probably best written in C (port
NoCatSplash?). Of course it will have to be put under the BSD license
like the rest of m0n0wall. And I reserve the right to make "cosmetic
adjustments" if required, but I think those who have gone to the
trouble of contributing code already know that I do that with only the
best of intentions. :)

Did you check that it fits in with the rest of m0n0wall without
requiring a complete overhaul thereof? I mean - you know that ipfilter
doesn't do layer 2 filtering, and that ipfw has got a kinda "reserved"
function for the traffic shaper, which must work no matter if the
captive portal is on or off. Same goes for other functions like VPN
etc. of course.

> + a checkbox somewhere in the GUI to turn the captive portal on/off
> + a default signin page which can be overriden by a customized page
> uploaded
> via ftp

I'd prefer HTTP - with copy & paste via the webGUI, and stored base64
encoded in config.xml, as with the webGUI SSL certificates. I want all
the config in one single place - no config file mess.

> (or should we use the m0n0wall dev list?)

I'd say so... That's what it is for.

Good luck!

Manuel