[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  Richard Morrell <dick at dickmorrell dot com>
 Cc:  M0N0Wall firewall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] captive portal support
 Date:  Mon, 19 Jan 2004 20:18:34 +0100
On 19.01.2004, at 20:08, Richard Morrell wrote:

> heh - brilliant - as an aside does anyone know why I called SmoothWall
> -
> SmoothWall ?? It had nothing to do with Firewalls. SmoothWall was
> almost
> called iGNUs Murus (Latin for fire wall with GNU influence). But it was
> smooth and based on bulky Perl crap (see Manuel's note above) - and
> Wall
> being the surname of Larry Wall founder of Perl.
>
> There you go. Bulky Perl crap gives way to influencing firewall name :)

Hehe, interesting story. :) I didn't mean to say that Perl was crap - I
think it's an excellent tool, but just the sheer thought of what having
it in m0n0wall would do to the system (Perl alone would probably
consume more space than the whole system at this point in time) and its
performance (I tried Perl with "miniBSD" on a net4501 a few months ago
- incredibly slow) gives me the creeps. ;)

I know that PHP, being an interpreted language as well, isn't extremely
efficient either, but the interpreter is at least relatively
lightweight.

FWIW, I just made a vital performance improvement: the parsed XML
config file is now cached in PHP native serialized form - reduces
webGUI page load times by about 2 seconds on slow net45xx boxes if the
config hasn't changed - XML parsing is pretty expensive in terms of CPU
time. That idea should have entered my head a long time ago... Will be
in the next release, among other things.

- Manuel