 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Read error when booting m0n0wall
 Date:  Mon, 19 Jan 2004 21:52:15 +0100
On Saturday 17 January 2004 21:42, Melvin Backus wrote:
> At 09:34 AM 1/17/2004, Andreas Mueller wrote:
> >On Thursday 15 January 2004 05:30, Melvin Backus wrote:
> > > Most likely suspect would be the drive configuration in the BIOS.  Most
> > > newer machines can be set to do auto detection, but after they come up
> > > you can normally check to see what the reported type/configuration is.
> > > I suspect that the failing machine is either not doing the auto
> > > recognition or is for some reason recognizing the drive with a
> > > different geometry, etc.  That effectively means there's nothing valid
> > > on it since the order of reading the data off is different from when it
> > > was written.  A good clue as to whether or not this is happening is the
> > > reported size of the drive in the BIOS boot up screen.  You can
> > > probably also override the auto detection logic and manually configure
> > > the drive if you know what the parameters were set to in the machine
> > > where you wrote the disk.
> >
> >I didn't try to copy it directly on this machine, so the geometry
> > translation could be a problem. Thanks for the hint.
> >
> >Andreas
>
> Your welcome.  Let us know if that cures the issue.  I've had cases in the
> past where that would cause systems to fail even after boot time because
> the geometry was close enough to get the OS loaded.  Drove me nuts until I
> found it.  You don't usually forget those.

Copying directly on the machine didn't work, same problem (read error).

I had some hope when I got this machine booting from CD (pb25). I configured
it to use two 3COM 3c905 as LAN and OPT1 (DMZ) interfaces, and an Intel
EtherExpress Pro/10+ ISA as WAN interface. I use an ADSL connection, the
modem is plugged into the WAN interface, but I can't ping my modem (it says
no route to host, but "route get <modem-ip>" shows the right interface). The
kernel boot messages said that the card has a programmed IRQ of 0, and that
IRQ=7 will be used. Maybe this is the problem? Furthermore, the MAC address
of the board isn't detected properly, ifconfig says "ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff".

Andreas