[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dick Morrell <dick at dickmorrell dot com>
 To:  Fred Weston <Fred at daytonawan dot com>
 Cc:  'mono' <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] failover support?
 Date:  Tue, 20 Jan 2004 15:53:12 +0000
On Tue, 2004-01-20 at 15:46, Fred Weston wrote:
> This is just out of curiosity, I don't have any need for this kind of
> functionality, it's more of a how hard would that be kind of question.
> With talk of PIX firewalls earlier on the list I was thinking about how
> much we paid for a pair of PIX 515s.  The second firewall we bought cost
> us next to nothing, because it would function only as a failover device
> in case the primary failed (it would refuse to load it's config if the
> master wasn't present).
>
> I was just curios as to how hard it would be to implement something
> similar in m0n0wall, and if anyone had ever inquired about it before?

Fred it would be a pain in the ass to do. There is a lot of stuff you
can read up on linux-ha and heartbeat. The issue isn't just failover -
it's also replication of xml configuration data. My advice - and you can
take this on board.

A Pix costs the same as 45 old crapbox PCs that you can turn into a
M0n0wall. Backup your configuration and have a spare box. When you have
dumpster class hardware competing with stuff that costs the same as a 3
yr old family sedan then failover and stuff becomes a non issue in this
marketplace.

Dick