[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chad R. Larson" <clarson at eldocomp dot com>
 To:  Fred Weston <Fred at daytonawan dot com>, mono <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] failover support?
 Date:  Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:02:41 -0700
At 08:46 AM 1/20/2004, Fred Weston wrote:
>I was just curios as to how hard it would be to implement something
>similar in m0n0wall, and if anyone had ever inquired about it before?

I asked a month or two ago if anyone was working on the Virtual Router
Redundancy Protocol (VRRP).  No one was, so when my crisis mode gets down
to "emergency", I'm planning on doing it myself.  It shouldn't be too hard,
since there is a VRRP implementation in the FreeBSD ports collection.

You'd want a GUI page to pick which interface you want the heartbeat on,
and the IP address you want to fail over.  I think VRRP on a pair of
Soekris net4801s with heartbeat enabled would be bullet proof.

          -crl
   Eldorado Computing, Inc.   602-604-3100
      5353 North 16th Street, Suite 400
        Phoenix, Arizona   85016-3228