[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Brandon Holland" <brandon at cookssaw dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Static routes not working in 24!
 Date:  Wed, 21 Jan 2004 08:30:08 -0600
I've got a subnetted lan with two subnets: 202.22.0.0 and 202.23.0.0,
they are routed NOT via m0n0, but via a multihomed win2k server (one
segment is copper other is fiber)

** I'm actually not using those addresses above, but the concept
applies.

What I *thought* I could do was put m0n0 on one of the subnets, and tell
it how to get to the other via a static route.

It's on the .22 subnet, with a static route that uses the multihomed
win2k machine as gateway for the .23 network.

It isn't doing that however.  (All my other machines can talk between
subnets)  I can't "ping" any machine on the .23 subnet from m0n0.  I
receive the error "no route to host"

Are these static routes not applying to m0n0 itself, maybe just to
clients or something?  If so, WHY? :-)  My only other alternative is to
directly connect m0n0 to the multihomed machine using another NIC, and I
don't like that idea.

I tried to "display" the routes using exec.php, but I don't know how to
do it.  Route by itself gives me some command line syntax, without the
purpose of the switches, and I tried route print too :-)

Thanks for your help,
Brandon Holland    (Brandon at Cookssaw dot com)
Network Administrator
Cooks Saw MFG, LLC ( <http://www.cookssaw.com/> www.CooksSaw.com)
    "Leading the bandsaw Industry
         by providing tomorrow's innovation today"
160 Ken Lane
Newton, AL 36352  (Click
<http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?city=newton&state=AL&address=160+k
en+ln&zip=36352&country=us&zoom=5>  for map)
   Ph: 1-800-473-4804    [ (334) 692-5074 ]
   Fax: (334) 692-3704