[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Michael Mee" <mm2001 at pobox dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Cc:  <dana at nycwireless dot net>, "Honson, Steven N" <steven dot honson at education dot tas dot gov dot au>
 Subject:  captive portal support
 Date:  Mon, 19 Jan 2004 09:03:37 -0800
Judging by this recent sub-thread,
http://m0n0.ch/wall/list/?action=show_msg&actionargs[]=23&actionargs[]=57
there appears to be considerable interest in m0n0wall captive portal support
and it could greatly expand the user base.

Manuel: if someone puts this together, will you put it into the main
release?  I respect your vision and guidance for this great project, so
before rallying the troops, I wanted to check that this fits your vision.
No point doing it, if you're reluctant to include it :-).

If you are ok with it, then I'm happy to help put it together. I'm too
swamped (and bsd ignorant) to do it myself, but I can help organise etc.

> "Honson, Steven N" <steven dot honson at education dot tas dot gov dot au> wrote:
> What type of captive portal would everyone be keen to get going?
> 1) A simple one that just has an AUP that you have to agree on
> before being given net access.

I think this is by far the sweet spot.  Let's keep it really simple
(especially to start with!). I invisage something like:

+ a checkbox somewhere in the GUI to turn the captive portal on/off
+ a default signin page which can be overriden by a customized page uploaded
via ftp

Dana Spiegal of NYCWireless has already offered to help with best practices,
which I'm guessing includes important details such as when/how does this
approval automatically timeout etc.

If you're interested / able to help out with this, please send me an email
offlist. Once Manuel has given us his blessing, I'll setup an email list (or
should we use the m0n0wall dev list?) and we can get this feature going!

If someone hasn't already got it running that is :-)

cheers, michael