[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jim Thompson <jim at netgate dot com>
 To:  Charles Scott <cscott at gaslightmedia dot com>
 Cc:  KnightMB <knightmb at knightmb dot dyndns dot org>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Wireless Association Problems with Broadcom b/g - Senao
 Date:  Tue, 28 Feb 2006 09:40:48 -1000
Charles Scott wrote:

>Michael:
>  I'm hoping to avoid doing that. Our units that we call affectionatly
>"LGB's" (Little Green Boxes) make a nice package and mount well in
>weather-proof boxes if needed. Adding additional "consumer grade"
>equipment isn't desireable and the Senao high-power cards work very well
>for radios. We may, however be forced that way or to a roll-our-own
>solution.

I think you'll find that if you try pfSense the situation is somewhat...
better.

Reason:  for the most part, the net80211 stack has been wrung-out and
passes WiFi compliance.  The best version of this stack is found in a
6-current tree, (the netbsd and openbsd variants of the stack are
decidedly *worse*) and pfSense is based on 6-current (its actually on
the 6.1 train.)

The stack in 4.11 definitely does conform to WECA/WiFi Alliance testing.

As for the Senao 'high power' cards, be aware that they won't be
available "forever" (the chipset has already entered its EOL period.  At
some point, Senao won't be able to purchase any more from Connexant
(they currently buy several hundred thousand units per month.)

There are various "high power" Atheros designs available as a
substitute.   These work *even better* than the 2511MP+.

Someday perhaps m0n0wall will move to a freebsd-6 (or 7) based
distribution.  Until then, if you want to run 802.11 (and don't want to
run linux), I have to recommend pfSense.

Jim

Jim