[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Neil A. Hillard" <m0n0 at dana dot org dot uk>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Private on LAN, Public on DMZ
 Date:  Tue, 28 Feb 2006 20:19:32 +0000
Roy,

In message <BAY107 dash F20174F86BD942B585922E3A6F70 at phx dot gbl>, RP Smith
<rpsmith at hotmail dot com> writes
>>You may want to check out one of my previous posts on this subject:
>>
>>http://m0n0.ch/wall/list/showmsg.php?id=173/85
>>http://m0n0.ch/wall/list/showmsg.php?id=235/74
>>
>>You can have OPT1 bridged to WAN _and_ still access OPT1 from LAN - the
>>secret is to use advanced NAT.  I'm using it that way now!  And you
>>don't waste any IP addresses, either.
>
>I tried your advanced NAT rule but so far no luck.  I'm a little
>confused as to the correct net mask to use for the rule.  How do I
>determine the correct mask?  Also, the main problem I'm having right
>now is that as soon as I bridge my DMZ to my WAN, I can no longer reach
>the Internet from my NATed LAN hosts.  If it matters, the DMZ interface
>I'm trying to bridge to my WAN is actually my Optional 2 interface.  My
>Optional 1 interface is a NATed 192... network.
>
>Thanks for the help Neil.

Well, you're the second person who's said the same thing.  the odd thing
is I've had it running here for just under a year and a big proportion
of that was on a 1.2beta.  Currently running 1.21 with no problems.

I'll try setting up another box with the same config but it won't be for
a couple of weeks now.  I'll go from scratch and see if I can get it to
work.  If I do get it to work I'll take screen shots and work out a
howto.

When you say Internet access isn't available as soon as you bridge the
OPT interface to WAN, do you mean literally that - when you select
'Bridge with WAN' and then save in the GUI?

Perhaps try resetting to defaults, setting OPT2 to a 192.168 address,
ensure that you can access a box on that network, then bridge it and
re-address the box on that interface and test again.  You shouldn't be
able to access it.  Then enable advanced NAT and it should then work.

HTH,

                                Neil.