[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] dhcp relay
 Date:  Tue, 28 Feb 2006 19:39:29 -0500
On 2/28/06, Dennis Hoshield <dhosh at gaslightmedia dot com> wrote:

> As we can't bridge a 3rd interface to the
> WAN, I thought of using the dhcp relay function.  I set wi1 as the LAN,
> and am attempting enabled dhcp relay on it, and set the destination
> server to the appropriate IP address (a DHCP server on another m0n0wall,
> directly connected to the WAN, where the NAT needs to take place).

DHCP relay is used to assign IP's from a separate scope on the DHCP
server.  This requires a full blown DHCP server package, m0n0wall
isn't capable of configuring multiple scopes off a single interface in
the way that's required for DHCP relay.

> If I set the wireless' interface to the
> same netblock as the WAN .. the box appears to 'break'..... usually
> can't connect to it and have to re-connect via the 2nd physical
> ethernet, and change the address on the 2nd wireless.

Yeah, because you can't have the same subnet (unless you're bridging)
on two separate interfaces with any router or firewall.  It doesn't
know what to send where.

You'll need to assign a new IP subnet to this interface, disable NAT,
and put in a static route on the m0n0wall doing the NAT pointing that
subnet to the other m0n0wall's WAN IP.

-Chris