[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Richard Birkby" <rbirkby at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Failing at the first step
 Date:  Wed, 1 Mar 2006 09:11:30 +0000
I'm trying out m0n0wall on an old PC, but can't get any network
connectivity. What am I doing wrong?

P3 450Mhz/384Mb RAM
4x Intel Pro 100 NICs
1 harddrive (not being used)
1 DVD (m0n0wall booting from CD)

After boot, I get:

LAN IP address: 192.168.1.1
LAN -> sis0
WAN -> sis1

I've got a laptop sat the other side of a switch. I've tried to use DHCP to
configure the laptop. Nothing. I've given the laptop 192.168.1.2 and then
pinged m0n0wall. I've also tried pinging from m0n0wall to the laptop.
Nothing.

I've gone through the Interfaces setup from the console. It shows I have 4
nics called fxp0, fxp1, fxp2, fxp3. fxp0 is showing (up). I've tried
configuring the interfaces myself:
vlan: no
lan: fxp0
wan: fxp1
opt1: fxp2
opt2: fxp3
reboot

When m0n0wall reboots, it still says:
LAN -> sis0
WAN -> sis1

which (given my simplistic knowledge) looks like the configuration hasn't
been saved. (aside: where does m0n0wall save this stuff anyway? CMOS ram?)

Hope someone can point me in the right direction.
Richard