[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  Kim Meibom Hartlev <kim at hartlev dot net>
 Cc:  Dinesh Nair <dinesh at alphaque dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] monowall 1.3 beta version download??
 Date:  Wed, 01 Mar 2006 15:44:49 +0100
On 01.03.06 15:17 +0100, Kim Meibom Hartlev wrote:

> Wireless status does not work as expected. I checked with no
> wireless clients connected and there was a long list with a lot of
> mac addresses with only zeroes (00:00:00:00:00). After that I
> connected a wireless client and then the list was empty. However
> connectivity was working fine. I use an Atheros 5212 chipset
> miniPCI card on a net4511.
>
> In dmesg the last lines state:
> pid 193 (wicontrol), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
> pid 443 (wicontrol), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)

Yep, that's a bug in FreeBSD 6.0's wicontrol. I think FreeBSD PR
bin/78570 (http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=bin/78570)
describes it, and the patch that it mentions works. Why this hasn't
been fixed in 6.0-RELEASE is beyond me.

> ath0: device timeout

Hmm, I've experienced that with a somewhat stripped (but otherwisee
standard) FreeBSD 6.0-RELEASE installation on a WRAP as well, but
didn't investigate. Maybe Jim Thompson can comment?

These two issues (wicontrol, ath0 timeout) don't give me the
impression that 6.0's wireless support is as great as it is sometimes
made out to be.

> Captive portal is not backward compatible with the local user
> manager in 1.2b7. At least the list of users were empty and I had
> to create them again.

Yep, that's clear - from the 1.2b10 changelog
(http://m0n0.ch/wall/changelog.php):

---
- cleaned up captive portal local user manager to be consistent with
other user databases in config.xml (i.e. don't store usernames in XML
tag names anymore)
-> existing users won't be converted and will have to be manually
entered again! (since this is a beta version and there has never been
a release with the captive portal local user manager before)
---

Thanks for your feedback!

- Manuel