[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dennis Hoshield <dhosh at gaslightmedia dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  dhcp relay
 Date:  Tue, 28 Feb 2006 17:07:04 -0500
I'm having difficulty with implementing dhcp relay, on Ver 1.21
In use is a Soekris unit with 2 ethernets (sis0 and sis1)  and 2
wireless interfaces (wi0 adn wi1)in hostap mode.
I am attempting to have both wireless interface  users connect to an AP
interface and obtain it's IP address supplied by a DHCP server one hop
out on the WAN interface.  wi0 is currently bridged with sis0, and
appears to work as intended.  As we can't bridge a 3rd interface to the
WAN, I thought of using the dhcp relay function.  I set wi1 as the LAN,
and am attempting enabled dhcp relay on it, and set the destination
server to the appropriate IP address (a DHCP server on another m0n0wall,
directly connected to the WAN, where the NAT needs to take place). I
believe I have added appropriate entries in the firewall rules to allow
the DHCP requests and replies, but still no  IP address obtained on the
2nd wireless interface.

The DHCP range will be the same netbock as the WAN.  If I set the
wireless' interface to a different submet, then how will those users be
able to get to that network?  If I set the wireless' interface to the
same netblock as the WAN .. the box appears to 'break'..... usually
can't connect to it and have to re-connect via the 2nd physical
ethernet, and change the address on the 2nd wireless.

Thanks,
Dennis