[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Sean Waite" <swaite at sbn dash services dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] monowall 1.3 beta version download??
 Date:  Wed, 01 Mar 2006 12:56:49 -0600
If this is a branch that is Alpha, then why would it be numbered 1.3? The file version should
indicate its status. Wouldn't be better
to have it named like this "generic-pc-0.3a1BSD6.img" that way people would know that this is based
of BSD 6, and that this branches
state is pre-release. So what if it is a branch. Basically I am using PFsense as an example, they
branched using FreeBSD 6 and have the
files indicated as such.

The average or common user would look at this file and say, hey it is a newer version. Although the
"a" should indicate Alpha, I would
assume though that most everday users may or may not know this. My question has more to do with the
fact that since this is essentially
a new branch, shouldn't it be indicated as such. This way when the FreeBSD6 version is stable, it
could be released as 1.0.

Although I do not think this is the case, too often I find in open-source projects people are way
too free on how they provision the
version numbers. Just my opinion

Sean Waite