[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] monowall 1.3 beta version download??
 Date:  Thu, 2 Mar 2006 01:23:13 -0600
From: "Frederick Page" <fpage at thebetteros dot oche dot de>

> So where is the difference between the m0n0wall 1.3 series and
> pfSense, except that pfSense's development has progressed further and
> pfSense is in a more usuable state?

Embedded systems and CF drives.

> As I understand Manuel's goals, m0n0wall is primarily designed for
> embedded systems, pfSense for "real" PCs. As the majority of m0n0wall
> users already uses "real" PCs, I expect most of them to switch to
> pfSense anyway, as this is primarily designed for "real" PCs.

Not me, and I have over 20 systems in production.  All are "generic-pc" and
most have CF memory.  Most are also slow and 128 meg.

> I already asked here, allow me to ask again: would it not make more
> sense to at least evaluate OpenBSD? Run pf, CARP & co. in their native
> habitat, instead of running knock-offs (ports)?

At some point you need to pick one and go.  There are good arguments for all
of them.  But I would rather move on than have them.

> <provocative>Why should users wait for a pfSense imitation (m0n0wall
> 1.3), when pfSense (latest snapshot) is nicely usuable?
> </provocative> Once users converted (pfSense understands almost 100%
> of the m0n0 XML config), they are unlikely to return, as pfSense's XML
> config is different from m0n0's (and incompatible).

I do not see it as an imitation, but a different approach with similar
tools.

                        Lee