[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  "MonoWall-General List" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: Compatibility Questions m0n0wall / Cisco Catalyst (and about vLAN)
 Date:  Sat, 4 Mar 2006 22:01:48 -0500
Please don't cross post.

On 3/4/06, Stefan Frank <Mono dot General at rootservices dot biz> wrote:

> Chris wrote on the Documention ... "Just make sure you don't get one of the
> older Catalysts that only support IOS 11.x. The 2U 2924's are typically the
> cheapest, and they all support IOS 12.x and VLAN trunking" ...
>
> @Chris My Switch is exactly a WS-C2916M-XL. It has 2 module slots

Read that again.  It says "2U 2924's", not 2916's.  There is a
difference.  The 2916's don't support VLAN trunking.

> In other words - my switch cant deal with VLAN trunking because this
> is only for Switches with Cisco IOS 12.x available???

Correct.

> I am currently not sure which functions of vlan do monowall support and
> whether that will work with my switch correclty together (or not).

802.1Q VLAN trunking protocol, standard on modern managed switches
from all vendors.  Since your switch can't send multiple VLAN's to
m0n0wall, it can't route between them.

-Chris